Monday, September 20, 2004

Thanks!

My mom and grandma made their first visit to an Orthodox church on Sunday…all things considered it went pretty well. They didn’t sneeze when Fr. Isaac got going with the incense. They didn’t sigh at the sight of a wall of icons. My grandma did suggest to my godmother that we needed less liturgy and more preachin’ (spoken like a true Baptist), but all in all I was so proud of them and honored to have them as my guests.

I know that my conversion to Orthodoxy has been a difficult one for them, as I came out of the liturgical closet, as it were. We have had our fair share of arguments, we have cried and we have learned together. But I want to thank them, above all else.

They took great care to raise me with a fear and love for our God. They made sure I knew not to run in church, knew that you treated a pastor with respect, and that church was the most important place one could choose to be.

To my mom and grandma, thank you so much. I love you.

5 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Bec said...

Doug--I don't mind a bit...what's your site?

Bec

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Bec said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Paul said...

(Nicki)We were having a similar discussion last night. I was talking about my despair over having my worldview crumble and not having something to replace it. And someone was sharing how they didnt feel like they had to throw away everything they have learned even though all their beliefs had been shaken -but that they could see how God used those people and those teachings etc to bring them closer to Himself - it is all part of the journey that He has us on. Unfortunately it is continual and we have to deal with the change however uncomfortable - He has His purposes in all of it - where He places us and the people we have in our lives. Comforting and not! I am glad that I have been part of your journey in the past and I am excited to hear where He has brought you since.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Bec said...

Matushka:
That's awesome! What a wonderful blessing. Thanks so much for your post.

Bec

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt very blessed to have your mom and grandma at our church. They are wonderful godly women. You can see just by talking to them both how much love they have for you. You are so blessed to have them in your life. It warmed my heart to see that love. Treasure each and every moment with them. Life is so short. You are so right about your upbringing preparing you for where you are now. Everything in life is a stepping stone to where God needs you to be. I am so proud to call you my goddaughter. I have alot to learn from you also. You are definately a blessing to our lives. Love you! Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home